Does your cat drink enough water? Would investing in a water fountain entice kitty to drink more water? Would having the best cat water fountain help? We consider it would!
Now that you know how to get your cat to drink water, you must choose the right water fountain for it! Here, we look at the best cat water fountain picks that your cat may (possibly, hopefully) want to try.
Also, before we begin the countdown, here’s a checklist of some things you should look for when purchasing your water fountain.
- They are ceramic;
- They have wide drinking surfaces;
- Their constant water flow inhibits bacterial growth;
- Their filters remove bad tastes and odors.
We now begin analyzing the best cat water fountains! (and do not forget to check the list of pro tip on using a cat water fountain from the conclusion)
5. Catit Flower Fountain: Cat Water Fountain with Triple-Action Filter
The Catit Flower Fountain looks and sounds like an inviting, bubbling brook. This encourages your kitty to drink more water, keeping her healthy and hydrated. Catit does this thanks to its unique and customizable design.
With three water flow settings, you can switch between a gentle flow of water, a bubbling top, or faucet-like streams.
Its triple-action filter removes magnesium, calcium, odors, and debris.
Additionally, this high-performance filter removes chlorine odors and bacteria and retains stray hairs, sediment, and debris.
Both of these will ensure that kitty drinks fresh and clean water at all times.
Unlike most drinking fountains, these flower-like drinking areas don’t use a bowl where dirt can settle in and get comfortable.
Instead, your pet is always drinking from a clean, fresh stream that will ideally stimulate and improve their drinking habits.
- Allows 3 different water flow settings for picky drinkers
- Offers maximum oxygenation for fresher, better-tasting water
- 3L re-circulating system takes up little floor space
- Includes a dual-action water softening filter and a small energy-efficient pump
- It is made of BPA-free plastics
- Easy to remove and re-attach the flower to strengthen or lessen the bubble flow when in the ‘bubbling top’ mode
- The fountain is simple to assemble and disassemble for cleaning
- Whisker stress-free surface at a comfortable height for adults and kittens
- Costly replacement filters
- The Flower Fountain is only intended for use with Catit certified filters
- Some cats don’t like its flower shape
- The pump can be noisy – the manufacturer says if the pump is making excessive noise, check the water level!
You might also like: Best Cat Harness Picks for Safe Walks
4. Pioneer Pet Swan Fountain
The elegant Swan Fountain mimics the experience of drinking out of a faucet. It allows your furry friend to sip on the flowing water as it falls from the slender neck of the “swan” into the basin.
Also, the water is charcoal filtered so you know your pet will enjoy clean, running water.
The Swan Fountain line also comes with a USB connection as well as a standard wall plug.
If you have a single pet or multiple pets household, this is the fountain for you as it can hold up to 80 ounces of water.
Made from premium plastic, this fountain is dishwasher safe and easy to clean.
- A stylish water fountain that mimics a faucet for your kitty to drink out of
- Features a charcoal filter to ensure clean water
- Holds up to 80 ounces of water
- Ideal for single or multi-cat homes
- BPA Free Premium Plastic
- USB Connector
- Easy to Assemble
- May be difficult for really big cats to use
- No turn off switch
- The filter replacement might be costly
- The fountain is on the side and not in the middle of the bowl – this makes it more difficult for cats to drink without getting water splashed on their heads
Pro Tip: Depending on the number of pets using this water fountain, you should clean it up to 1-3 times per month to ensure its longevity.
3. The Petmate® Deluxe Fresh Flow® Pet Fountain
The Petmate® Deluxe Fresh Flow® Pet Fountain is a purifying pet water fountain designed to keep your pet cool and hydrated, especially during the warmer months.
Its patented slope design provides a natural continuous flow of circulating filtered, oxygenated water. This comes out through a unique patented no splash water slide.
The continuous free-falling stream of water will attract your pets and encourages them to drink more water.
This fountain can hold a large amount of water and is perfect as both a dog and cat water fountain option. Households with multiple different pets will surely like it.
The fountain plugs into a standard household AC outlet.
- Innovative sloping design
- Reservoir and power cord easily detach for easier cleaning
- The bowl will refill automatically as your pet drinks out of it
- Provides filtered water throughout the day
- The re-circulating flow and filter provides naturally cool and oxygenated water
- Each unit comes with a replaceable charcoal filter.
Pro Tip: Change the filter every 30 days to ensure water freshness.
- The pump can be very loud
- Its many smaller pieces or nooks can be difficult to clean
- The pump sits right by the intake with no filter between the pump and the intake where the water is sucked into the pump – this can lead to the pump jamming
2. PetSafe’s Drinkwell 360 Fountain Stainless Steel
With fresh, filtered water and a free-flowing stream, there’s no need to lead your cat to water; she’s already lapping it up!
The Drinkwell 360 Stainless Steel Pet Fountain was designed to increase a dog’s and cat’s drive to drink by mirroring a natural water supply rather than a stagnant bowl.
The PetSafe Drinkwell Replacement Foam Pre-Filters trap any large debris and hair from the water before they reach the pump.
This way, you can rest assured your pet will be drinking only fresh water.
These same foam filters also help keep the pump cleaner in between cleanings and maintain the fountain’s flow rate.
These water bowls hold one gallon of water, which makes them perfect for multi-pet households.
Also, the stainless-steel construction resists bacteria and makes cleanup that much easier.
- Dishwasher-safe (excluding the pump)
- Ideal for multiple cats and dogs under 60 pounds
- Holds up to one gallon of water
- The free-falling, 360-degree access stream keeps the water fresh
- Adjustable flow control cap allows you to customize the water flow
- Receiving ramp and adjustable flow control to reduce splashing
- Comes with rubber feet to prevent it from sliding
- You should disassemble and clean the fountain pump every 2-4 weeks
- Requires two types of filters: foam pre-filters and charcoal filters
- The fountain has plastic parts
- The clips used to keep the tower in the dish may not stay in place well – so the tower will not stay down
Take out your cat to see some real fountains too with some help from these Best Cat Backpacks that Have Your Back!
1. IPETTIE Tritone Ceramic Pet Drinking Fountain
The iPettie Tritone Ceramic Pet Drinking Fountain is made of ceramic – this makes it high-quality and super easy to clean.
Its lotus design will most likely fascinate your pet through its quiet, water flowing way and also makes for a great home decor too!
The Whisper Quiet long-life AC submersible pump ensures a super-quiet operation so the noise won’t scare your pets away.
With 2.1L/71oz capacity, it’s enough for an adult cat to drink out of for two weeks or more.
The three-stage purification system will capture debris of any kind. It also helps remove bad tastes or odors and will soften the water as well.
Regularly disassembling the pump to clean up the hair and debris will help extend the lifespan of this pump.
- Energy-saving features
- Whisper-quiet operation
- Large capacity bowl
- Easy to handle and maintain
- Comes with a three-step purification process
- The tower part of the fountain and the inside of the filter cover can accumulate hard water deposits
- It’s a little more expensive than other cat water fountains
Before we wrap things up, here are a few extra and useful tips for you:
Once you’ve chosen a water fountain, read the instructions and set it up in a prominent area of your home.
Cats in the wild drag their food away from their water source, so it’s best to set the fountain up across the room from any food dishes.
Don’t remove your cat’s previous water source right away!
Cats need some time to get used to something new, and it’s important that your cat can still go back and get water from her old dish.
Once you see your cat reliably drinking from the fountain several times per day, you can remove the old bowl.
So there you’ve got it, some of the best cat water fountain options you can get for your beloved feline as well as pro tips on choosing and using one!
Which one did you get or consider worth getting for your cat? Tell us what you both think, through a comment!
Recommended Read: Cat Wand Toys Your Cats Will Love!