Ferrets are obligate carnivores but many ferret foods don’t reflect their dietary needs. Your furry friend needs high fat and animal protein foods to ensure that they live a long and healthy life. A minimum of 32% animal protein and 20% fat are ideal.
Most foods have some amount of plant material but it’s best to keep that under 5% if possible. Try one of these for your picky eater to ensure they’re eating the best ferret food.
7. Wysong Ferret Archetype
If you’re looking for a snack or treat to supplement your ferret’s diet, look no further than Wysong Ferret Archetype. This freeze-dried food is 50% protein and 25% fat so snack time doesn’t have to be unhealthy with Wysong.
Available in chicken, quail, and rabbit, this food can offer variety in your ferret’s diet or you can stick to the meat that their digestive system is already familiar with.
- 50% protein
- 25% fat
- Available in chicken, quail, and rabbit varieties
- Made by one of the most reputable brands
- Healthy treat / snack
- Sugar content higher than desired
- Too many fruits and vegetables
- Picky ferrets don’t like the texture
6. Instinct – The Raw Brand (Original)
Kittens have similar nutritional requirements to ferrets so many ferret owners recommend Instinct Original Kitten Food is the best you can give your ferret as food. While this isn’t traditionally a ferret food, many ferret owners swear by this choice and it’s much healthier than many of the inferior ferret foods on the market. 81% of the formula is made from animals which is a high percentage that is ideal for ferrets.
Due to the need for high-fat content and other nutritional similarities, kitten formula is the preferred choice over the adult cat formulas.
- High protein content
- High fat content
- First ingredient is high quality chicken
- Live natural probiotics
- Contains high amounts of fishmeal and peas
- Not specifically formulated for ferrets
5. Marshall Premium Ferret Diet
Marshall is a brand you’ll regularly hear about as a ferret owner so it’s no surprise that their Premium Ferret Diet is in the running for the best ferret food. It’s moderately healthy and has a taste that most any ferret will eat. Almost every ferret bought from pet stores is a Marshall ferret and they eat this food from a young age so it’s the easiest on the tummy to never have to switch foods.
- 38% protein
- First 3 ingredients are meat
- No switching foods which can possibly bother ferret tummies
- Adheres to Marshall ferret warranty
- High sugar content can cause health issues
- Multiple filler ingredients that aren’t the best for ferrets
4. Kaytee Premium Ferret Food
Many will be shocked to see Kaytee Premium Ferret Food on this list. While Kaytee usually does not produce quality foods, their premium ferret food is a decent option for the ferret owner with a tight budget. With 42% protein and 20% fat, this food is sure to keep ferret tummies happy.
- Grain free
- 42% protein
- 20% fat
- Economically priced
- Unreliable brand
- Picky eaters aren’t impressed
3. Wysong Ferret Epigen 90
Wysong Ferret Epigen 90 is one of the most beloved ferret foods out there. No brand has as much animal protein content as Wysong which has ferret lovers calling this the best ferret food. It’s known for being the kibble that most closely resembles a ferret’s natural diet.
If your ferret isn’t used to this rich diet, ensure that you transition them very slowly to avoid tummy troubles. This should help eliminate the chief complaint with this nutritious food.
- 90% animal ingredients
- Over 60% protein
- High quality ingredients – some organic
- Fortified with probiotics, prebiotics, vitamins, and minerals that your ferret needs
- Can cause runny poops especially during initial transition
- Seems to increase the musky ferret odor
2. Zupreem Premium Ferret Diet
Zupreem is one of the most popular ferret foods. It exceeds all of a ferret’s nutritional requirements and is a serious contender for the best ferret food. It boasts 40% protein and 20% fat while staying away from fishmeal and cornmeal which are terrible fillers for the health of a ferret. This will keep your ferret healthy and set them up for a nice long life.
- 40% protein
- 20% fat
- No fishmeal or cornmeal
- Many vets recommend this food
- Higher than desired sugar content
- Peas high on ingredients list
1. Wysong Ferret Epigen 90 Digestive Support
Wysong is widely considered the best ferret food among owners. The high meat content including many organic ingredients makes this dry food have over 60% protein. This food is considered to be the best option on the market with the only better option being formulating a raw diet.
- High protein content
- Higher meat content than any other ferret food
- Includes organic ingredients
- No starch ingredients
- Contains enzymes, vitamins, minerals, prebiotics, probiotics, and antioxidants to help keep your ferret healthy
- Fat content is a little low at 16%
- Can be rough on ferret digestive system when initially starting the food – needs to be introduced slowly
There are some great ferret foods on the market. Wysong and Zupreem are easily the top choices when it comes to nutritional value. Do your ferret a favor and feed them the best ferret food that you can.
By setting your fur baby up with a healthy diet, you’re more likely to avoid common health problems in ferrets so that you and your ferret can enjoy a long and healthy life together.