There are many hamster foods on the market, but they aren’t all formulated to the needs of a hamster. While some of the options may taste good to your hamster, these little rodents are prone to health problems such as diabetes which regularly sweet foods can trigger.
It’s important to keep in mind the health of your hamster so choosing the best hamster food is imperative to help your hamster live a long and healthy life.
7. Wild Harvest Advanced Nutrition Diet for Hamsters
Wild Nutrition Diet for Hamsters is an economical choice that comes in a decent sized tub that’s optimal for keeping the food fresh. People call it one of the best hamster foods because it has less overly sweet corn than a majority of the other foods on the market.
This food mainly contains a variety of fortified pellets to ensure that your hamster is getting everything they need but also contains some seeds, so they have a nice treat.
- Comes in a decent sized sealable container to help maintain freshness
- Not as much corn as most hamster foods
- The mix contains dried onions which can be toxic to hamsters and other questionable ingredients
- Picky hamsters only want to eat the larger seeds
6. Kaytee Fiesta Hamster Food
Kaytee Fiesta is arguably the most well-known hamster food. So many Kaytee products are widely available for small animals. This economical mix is enticing for your hamster and gives them a tasty varied diet.
- Fortified with vitamins, probiotics, and prebiotics
- Comes in a resealable bag that helps preserve freshness
- Contains dyes and other questionable ingredients
- Super sweet mix has led to weight gain in hamsters
5. Living World Extrusion
Living World Extrusion is an inclusive pellet diet that gives your hamster everything it needs without having to worry about them picking around for just the best parts. It’s considered one of the best hamster foods because you know your hamster is getting what they need instead of just what they want.
The pellets are made with a variety of ingredients and fortified with the vitamins that they need to stay healthy and strong.
- No picking around – rest assured that your hamster is getting all the vitamins and minerals it needs
- Crunchy texture is enticing and good for your hamster’s teeth
- Better quality than many of the other fortified pellet diets
- Too sweet including corn as the first ingredient – unlike mixes you can’t pick out ingredients that are in abundance in pellet form
- Picky eaters often don’t take to pellets
4. Ecotrition Cheese Chews
Hamsters need chews to help keep their teeth healthy. Cheesie Chews tend to be a favorite since they taste like a cheesy snack. The picky chewers devour these so you can ensure your hamster has healthy teeth that aren’t overgrowing regardless of their preferences.
- Tasty chews that please the pickiest of hamsters
- Made with real cheese
- Chews won’t splinter or break
- Long lasting
- Promotes healthy teeth
- Not as hard as other hamster chews such as applewood
3. Tropical Carnival Gourmet Hamster Food
Tropical Carnival is as fun for your hamster as it sounds. Filler ingredients are highly reduced making it one of the best hamster foods. It contains natural foraging snacks and fortified biscuits to ensure your pet is getting all of the vitamins that they need.
- Variety of seeds, dried fruits, dried vegetables, and fortified biscuits
- No dyes or artificial flavors
- Fortified with essential vitamins
- Picky hamsters weren’t fond of this mix
2. Sunseed Vita Prima – Hamster & Gerbil / Dwarf Hamster Varieties
Sunseed Vita Prima is one of the best hamster foods because it has 2 formulas. There is one designed for larger hamsters (see above) and another one for dwarf hamsters. This food has a variety of seeds and pellets. It’s fortified with omega-3s and probiotics to support a healthy hamster.
- Contains probiotics
- Variety of tastes and textures
- Made in USA
- Separate mixes intended for large and dwarf hamsters
- Some hamsters pick around and only eat their favorite parts
- Too much corn included in the mix
1. Tiny Friends Farm Hazel Hamster
Hazel Hamster is more than just fortified pellets. The variety in the mix promotes natural foraging instincts in hamsters. There are whole peanuts, seeds in shells, small pieces of fruits and vegetables, and fortified pellets to ensure your furry friend is getting one of the best hamster foods.
- Promotes natural foraging instincts
- Contains variety of healthy snacks for your hamster all in one mix
- Even the pickiest hamsters love this
- Very few filler ingredients
- Suitable for all breeds of hamsters
- Too much corn – some people pick out some of the corn to increase the nutrition value of this mix
- Some hamsters pick around and just eat their favorite parts of the mix
Get one of the best hamster foods on the market so you can ensure to be holding your sweet ham ham for as long as possible. Balance their diet and help keep your furry friend healthy by filling their bowl (and chubby cheeks) with the best hamster foods that you can.
Make sure they’re getting mostly regular hamster food but also have chews readily available for their dental health.
The TPR Team invites you to read informative pieces and specialized opinions from experts in all things dogs, cats, birds, fish, hamsters, rabbits, and all things pet, in general.