Rats are active, intelligent animals that need plenty of physical and mental stimulation to stay healthy. We want to help you provide fun, easy ways to keep your pets happy and engaged. In this article, we hope to give you a detailed review of the best rat toys and offer helpful recommendations based on consumer reviews, price, and quality.
10. Rat Chew Toys
The Perfect Chew for Rats includes wood balls, wood cheese wedges, a wood log and a block in brilliant yellow, red and purple colors. This toy is a completely chewable kabob with a metal attachment hook, making it easy to hang where every your rats lives.
Because this is a disposable chew, you can throw it out after your pet devours it, making it one of the best rat toys. Also, the toys in this set are made of pine, and according to some sources, pine may be toxic to rats. So, before you purchase this, definitely check with your veterinarian.
• Rats genuinely enjoy this toy and will hang or swing on it.
• They will also have fun chewing on the toys.
• Some complain that the rats dislike the taste.
• Made of pine
9. Niteangel Small Pet Fun Tunnel
Rats have a natural urge to move through tunnels, so this toy is fun for you and your pet. The tunnel is made of plastic, stain resistant and strong, expands up to over three feet. It’s definitely large enough for rats to crawl through, making it one of the best rat toys. This toy will give your pet plenty of exercise and delight.
• Rats and hamsters can turn around in this flexible toy, and they seem to enjoy themselves.
• They love to tunnel! In addition, the tunnel fits into the cage with an agile but strong plastic structure.
• Tunnel can be hosed clean.
• Plastic is too stiff to stretch or bend (it’s not as flexible as a Slinky). Still, it’s definitely large enough for rats to crawl through, making it one of the best rat toys.
8. Niteangel Tunnel Hamster Hammock
This hanging tunnel sleeper is accented with soft supple leather. Hammock hole can give small animals free to play breathable space. You can attach the quilt-like material to the cage with clips. Offers enough space for two adult rats. The hammock is 15 inches long with a 4.4 inch diameter in the cylinder.
• Right after installation, the rats assessed the hammock and made it their favorite sleeping spot.
• Highly recommended as one of the best rat toys.
• One consumer bought this for her five female rats. They all share the hammock.
• Hammock gets high marks for quality.
• Rats can destroy the hammock.
• Hammock’s odd shape makes it difficult for more than one rat to fit in at a time (smaller rats would fit fine)
• The fringe is a bit long
7. Niteangel Suspension Bridge for Small Pets
The bridge is made of natural wood, good material for rats. Fulfills any rat’s need to explore and conquer. Helps your pet develop skills in balance and coordination while giving plenty of exercise.
The included destructible toys help satisfy your rat’s need to chew. Also includes a fastener that makes it easy to attach to the cage.
• Sturdy and reasonably priced.
• You can adjust the bridge to fit your rat’s cage and even add “hills” to climb.
• Its high value makes it one of the best rat toys.
• Excellent for pet owners looking to cure Bumblefoot or have their rodents have something comfortable to climb on and chew.
• You can attach one end to the cage and angle it so it becomes a ramp.
• The piece of wood with the hooks may break on one side but the hooks are not necessary.
6. Sleep ‘n’ Play Cheese – Small Animal Toy
This rat toy is rustic, fun and an overall great value. Some assembly may be required. It is Perfect for any rat and mice habitat.
• The product was far larger than it looks in the ad
• Big enough for adult rats, and mice love it as well.
• It also makes for a safe chew for rats.
• The wood may be splintered, not clean like in the photo.
• Metal hinge looks cheap.
• The toy may develop strong odor from animal pee (very hard to wash)
5. Niteangel Small Animal Activity Toy, Rat Cotton Rope Nets
A sturdy climbing activity toy made from cotton rope, two or more hamsters could play together on it. With this toy, you will encourage your pets to climb and do more exercise to prevent their overgrown nails and benefit their long-term health.
This small activity toy by Niteangel easily connects to most pet cages with metal clips. Use two or more together or combine with our rope bridge. The dimensions of the toy are 13.4 inches in length and 8.3 inches in width. Perfect for a rat or ferret.
• Sturdy products with thick, strong ropes.
• Smaller rodents, such as mice, can even climb.
• Most rats enjoy climbing and jumping on this toy.
• Toy stands up to chewing.
• It may stink like mildew when taken out of the package.
• Some may ignore the toy.
• Toy is not washable (it will shrink and be ruined)
4. RYPET Small Animal Play Tunnel, Collapsible Pet Toy Tunnel for Rats
Dimensions: (L x D): Approx Long Tunnel-11.42″ x 3.94″/29 x 10cm; Short Tunnel-3.94″ x 3.94″/10 x 10cm.
This toy comes with a spacious tunnel with three exits so many animals can enjoy it simultaneously. Made of high-quality, non-toxic cotton/polyester blend, this provides exercise and enjoyment a rat needs without wrecking its health.
The plastic rings embedded in the edges of the tunnel help it keep its shape. It is perfect for small pets, including rats.
• Pet owners and rats like this ladder.
• Toy is flexible with hooks making it easy to hang and fit into a cage or habitat.
• The bridge arrived undamaged.
• It can also be turned on its side to make a divider.
• In some cases, the end wooden piece broke immediately.
3. Niteangel Natural Living Tunnel System, Small Animal House
This is a two-story rat house with a tower, tunnel and various climbing opportunities. It comes with a natural wood design. Many pet owners reported that the house is entertaining for their rats.
• High-quality, natural product
• The bridges have pegs lined up and fit snugly into the house, and the rats love it!
• Smaller animals can sleep in the tunnel that connects the two houses, and chew on the material.
• In some cases, the aspen bedding may cause allergies.
• Some brad type nails poked from the inside and needed repair. Inspect this product before you use it!
• Nothing was individually wrapped, and the package arrived with little to no protective padding.
2. Hamster Molay Chew Toys
These hamster chew toys are all made of natural dehydrated logs without mildew. The Hamster Molar Toy not only brings happiness to small animals, but also helps small animals keep their teeth healthy.
These wooden hamster toys give your small rodent the prefect opportunity to play and work out. Toy is suitable for most small animals, including rats. The product is 100 percent guaranteed.
• Solid toy
• Good for your pet’s tooth and gum health
• Smooth finishes
• Best size for rats and Syrian hamsters
• A bit pricey for the size
1. Kaytee Nut Knot Nibbler for Small Animals
This toy is made of all-natural wood. It is great for rats as it encourages healthy playing and chewing. The dimensions are 4 inches long, 4 inches wide and 3-1/4 inches high. This is one of the safest wood chew toys for rats and it perfectly satisfies your pet’s need to chew and gnaw.
• Rats and other small rodents just love this toy
• You can add vanilla or sugar free almond butter onto the ball in the middle to give your rat a tasty treat
• 100% natural wood
• Safe vegetable dye
• The sticks slide right out and have splinters (pieces are not connected and slippery)
• Overall low quality.
• Dye may rub off
In summary, we hope you and your rat find some fun and sturdy toys. Enjoy interacting with your pet, and don’t forget to research on your own to find the best rat toy.
The TPR Team invites you to read informative pieces and specialized opinions from experts in all things dogs, cats, birds, fish, hamsters, rabbits, and all things pet, in general.