Having kept rabbits for 25 years, I know that a hutch or a cage on its own is not enough space to keep a rabbit happy and healthy.
But I also know that many of us can’t allow them to free range either.
So an enclosure or a playpen is the next best thing to give them space while also keeping them safe and protecting all our belongings.
So here are some of the best options out there to help meet those needs.
Some you can really use as another home for your pet, while others you can use as a play space for them.
6. Doggy Style Heavy Duty Puppy Playpen
This sturdy playpen could be used as a permanent home for any rabbit.
- Sturdy heavy duty construction
- Can be configured as a square or a rectangle as well as an octagon to fit any room
- Strong enough for giant rabbit breeds – it also has enough space for them
- Portable for moving home
- Doesn’t have a base so something would have to be arranged for that
- A little pricey compared to other options
5. Bunny Business 8-Panel Playpen
A great all-around home for our rabbits and also one of the most useful rabbit enclosures you could get.
It comes with a base and a mesh top so it won’t make a mess around it. These also help prevent your rabbits from escaping from the enclosure.
- Portable for traveling or moving home
- Plenty of space for our rabbits
- Good value for the money
- May be too lightweight for giant breeds
- The base and mesh top may be redundant if you need to configure it in a different shape
4. Youke Pet Playpen
Great design that you can keep changing to fit the evolving needs of your rabbits.
Still, you might need two of these (or more) if you have a larger breed or rabbits who like to jump.
By stacking two or more, you’ll be making it high enough and also escape-proofing it.
- Can be configured in many ways to fit in a specific room
- Expandable and useful for rabbits of all sizes
- Will need to make some sort of base or mat to put underneath
3. Songmics Pet Exercise Playpen
You will surely likely this if you are looking for a stylish playpen that will complement any home and won’t stand out like a sore thumb.
For this type of rabbit enclosures, I’d also recommend either adding another pack or something else on top, to prevent your rabbit from escaping.
- Designed to have a base to prevent messes
- Easy to clean
- Plenty of space
- This will need something on the base to stop a rabbit from slipping and to give them some traction
2. Little Friends Indoor Rabbit 100 Cage with Run
This one is a great all-around home for smaller rabbits. This sort of rabbit enclosures can also be used as a sort of starter home for smaller breeds.
- Has a cage for added security when you’re not at home
- Comes with the ramp for easy access
- It includes a hide-y house to give our friend a bolt hole if they need it
- Comes with the run as well
- You will need to put something under the run to prevent its making a mess
- Only big enough for a smaller rabbit or as a starter home for a young rabbit.
1. Purlove Rabbit Hutch Cage House
This is a great all-in-one permanent home option for rabbits of all sizes and breeds.
- Has a large sleeping house inside it
- Nice floor space
- Strong and sturdy enough for any rabbit
- Has some nice features
- Easy to clean
- A bit pricey
- You’ll need some DIY skills to install it
And this one is thinking outside the box a bit …
+ Millhouse Plastic Baby Playpen with Mats
This one I thought of as an outside the box alternative. While it is designed for children, it can also work as a sorts of rabbit enclosure.
This is because it provides your rabbit with more than enough space and can act as a great home for them.
- Large play space
- Strong construction
- Comes with mats that are great for preventing any messes
- East to keep clean
- May not be high enough so some sort of mesh top would be needed
- The most expensive of all the options I presented
These are some of the best rabbit enclosures you could get for your pet if you want to provide them either with an exercise space or a permanent house of their own.
These options will also fit all budgets and needs.
Also, all these rabbit enclosures can be altered and adapted to fit the changing needs of our home and your pets.
Giving a little thought to our friends’ needs can make all the difference to their health and wellbeing. A happy rabbit makes for a happy home.
Which one’s your favorite or are you already using one? Leave a comment and do tell all about it!
Recommended Read: Best Pet Carriers for Your Rabbit