… and Your Furniture Safe
A cat scratching post is a wooden base covered with coarse carpet or other rough material that sharpens the feline’s nails as he or she abrades the structure.
They are useful both for your pet, as it can help keep their claws in good shape, and to your home (it helps reduce the ‘risks’ of scratched furniture).
The ideal pad can keep cats entertained for hours.
Many makers even attach toys to their scratching structures to attract kittens who may not understand the purpose of a scratching post.
Catnip is also a fairly common feature as it helps draw your cat’s interest to the post (especially if placing it within view failed to gain your pet’s attention), according to the ASPCA.
But rest assured, we’ve made a list of cat scratching posts that will keep both your older and the younger feline friends occupied and entertained!
8. Pioneer Pet SmartCat The Ultimate Scratching Post
Ideal for: Cats who enjoy stretching throughout the day
The Pioneer Pet cat scratching post is made with sisal material that sparks a curiosity that encourages scratching.
This post stands 32 inches high, which allows felines to stretch freely.
Assembling the product is relatively easy as it is mainly held together by two screws.
The sturdy base of the Pioneer scratching post eliminates wobbling that could lead to tipping.
- Easy assembly
- Will quickly catch your cat’s attention
- Holes for screws are disproportionately spaced
- Not ideal for cats larger than 30 pounds
7. Catit Scratcher with Catnip
Ideal for: Cat owners on the go
The Catit Scratcher has a corrugated scratching surface and catnip that deters felines from sharpening their nails on furniture.
This product has a wide design that can accommodate medium-sized to large cats.
- Suitable for small apartments
- Catnip relaxes felines
- Cats sometimes choose to lay on the product rather than use it as a scratching post
- Cardboard wears out rather quickly
6. TRIXIE Pet Products Parla Scratching Post
Ideal for: Organic-loving cat owners
This TRIXIE Pet Products cat scratching post has a sturdy base wrapped in plush material.
The natural sisal is perfect for cat owners who love chemical-free products and ideal for cats who enjoy sharpening their nails.
- Wide and tall
- Easy setup
- The fabric is too soft according to some cat owners
- No bolt to secure its standing
5. PetFusion 3-Sided Vertical Cat Scratcher and Post
Ideal for: Cats who love to scratch and play
It’s a cat scratching post and play area all in one!
This structure includes organic catnip and recycled cardboard with non-toxic cornstarch glue.
The PetFusion scratcher allows for vertical stretching and horizontal abrading.
This post is 18 x 10.5 x 16 inches with rotating capabilities.
- Attracts cats
- Organic material
- Horizontal scratching options
- Not sturdy enough for some cats
- The cardboard can make a mess
4. Max and Marlow Sisal Scratch Post
Ideal for: Cats who love to scratch furniture
This 26-inch sisal scratching structure effectively keeps your feline from ruining furniture.
The coarse texture of the material also conditions a cat’s nails to prevent snags.
Sisal is a durable product that can last for many years and besides it, this scratching post also comes with a toy.
- Can be assembled without instructions
- Enticing toy
- Tall structure
- No holes in the base so it’s harder to attach and the post might spin
- Not ideal for large cats
Suggested: You can supplement your cat’s fun with a chew toy too, besides the one that comes with this scratch post.
3. 4CLAWS Wall Mounted Scratching Post
Ideal for: Large cats who love to scratch and stretch
The 4CLAWS scratching post is wall mountable and extra sturdy.
This structure comes with stainless steel hooks for trouble-free installation.
The 4CLAWS scratching post is recyclable and is made of thick cardboard that is premium pressed.
- Good texture
- Sturdy base
- Not as durable as some of the other options on this list
- Might not attract older cats
2. Catit Style Scratching Board with Catnip
Ideal for: Cat owners who want to mix cat furniture with their overall decor
This Catit Style cat scratching post takes on an urban design that lures cats away from furniture.
They will think that this corrugated scratching surface is a mini version of the sofa.
Be convinced that you will appreciate this 20-inch wide post that comes with catnip.
- Great for scratching and lounging
- Ideal for small and large cats alike
- Narrow design that might initially confuse your cats
1. Premium Cat Scratcher by GoPets
Ideal for: More aggressive cats
The Premium Cat Scratcher lasts up to three times longer than the average post in its class.
This material is extra thick yet provides a comfortable environment for cats to enjoy.
Ergonomics is a major advantage in the construction of this scratching pad that also comes with catnip.
- Attracts cats
- Great for kittens
- Has holes on the sidelines
- Does not attract all cats
- The design is a bit confusing for some cats
Finding the right cat scratching post can be a guessing game.
You may deem a product as being the ideal choice, and have your feline think otherwise and refuse to use it for abrading purposes.
This guide is here to help you find the right structure that will suit your cat’s needs.
If you consider getting your cat another enjoyable accessory, then take a look at some cat trees as well!
What does your feline have to say about these cat scratching posts? Let us know in a comment!
Olivia is at her happiest when she is cuddling (with their acceptance, of course) her two cats: Max and Moxie (totally intended). When she is not spending time with her beloved felines, Olivia is busy writing about the toys they play with and the things they use. Proud Cat Lady in the making!