While searching through all of the options that are available to find the best dog crate, you need to take several things into consideration, including the size and breed of your dog, portability, materials, design, locking mechanism, ease of cleaning, and so much more.
Before jumping into a dog crate purchase, here you will find a list of the 10 best dog crates that are available today, based upon customer reviews, rating, and usability.
10. Carlson Single Door Metal Dog Crate
Ideal for: Medium to large dogs, for indoor crate training.
This is a metal dog crate that has a stainless steel construction for durability. The leak proof plastic pan can be removed for washing, and put back in. The crate is also easy to fold back up to be stored when not in use.
- Great for portability;
- Easy assembly;
- Nice price;
- Some dog breeds have been known to chew through the bars;
- Can be tricky to take down and put up;
- Some breeds can escape by opening the lock;
9. 2Pet Foldable Dog Crate
Ideal for: Transporting dogs in your vehicle.
For transporting your dog, this crate is a durable option made with lightweight materials and strong steel tube frame. There is a zippered entrance, and the entire crate is covered in a durable, soft and easy to clean fabric. The waterproof mat on the inside offers additional comfort for your dog.
- Mesh fabric allows for proper ventilation;
- Easy to carry from one location to the next;
- Great for taking in the car;
- Covering tricky to replace after removal;
- Some breeds scratch through the mesh;
- Zipper can stick or derail after ample use;
8. Prevue Hendryx Single Door Dog Crate
Ideal for: Dogs that like to try to chew and escape.
This crate has tough wire mesh for dogs that like to escape. There smart finish makes it easy to clean, while preventing rust. This is a nice crate whether you have a larger dog or puppies to train.
- Heavy framework including three security locks;
- Assembles easily without any tools;
- Offers unobstructed views and great air ventilation;
- Can be bulky to try to move around;
- A bit pricey in comparison;
- Handle has been known to break apart from the crate;
7. New World Crates Dog Crate
Ideal for: Medium to large dogs for crate training.
This New World model is the best dog crate for behavior training, made for dogs between 26-40 pounds, and crafted from heavy wire. The design allows for maximum ventilation, and the door features a locking slide-out bolt. The sliding plastic pan makes for easy cleaning.
- Easily folds for storage;
- Quick, simple set up;
- Two door options for convenience;
- Some dogs have been able to escape the crate;
- Dogs have chewed the plastic pan liner;
- Only a one-year manufacturer’s warranty;
6. OxGord Folding Metal Crate With Double Door And Divider
Ideal for: Large dogs (husky, German shepherd, beagle).
This OxGord model is a durable dog crate that will be able to stand up escape attempts. Crafted from high quality materials, this crate offers comfort and safety for your dog. The doors also offer easy access for your dog to move in and out.
- Handle makes for easy carrying;
- Double door provides options for entry and exit;
- Folds for easy storage and transport;
- Some dog breeds can break through the bars;
- Clever dogs have been known to unlock the crate;
- Divider can be easy to get through;
5. Best Pet Two Door Pet Wire Cage
Ideal for: Easy crate training.
Want a simple crate for training your dog? Crafted from low carbon steel, this crate also has an electro-coating finish to prevent rusting. The durable coated pan includes raised edges to prevent any leaks.
- Easy to keep clean;
- Nice to have for crate training purposes;
- Lightweight and easy to move about;
- Can be a bit tricky to assemble and disassemble;
- The divider is tough to keep in place at times;
- Some dog breeds are able to get through the locking mechanism;
4. Amazon Basics Folding Metal Crate
Ideal for: Housing more than one dog for crate training.
This is a high quality crate built to last, including a single door that has dual latches to prevent bending. Painted with a coating, the construction is also great for preventing corrosion and rusting. Nice to have for indoor house training, this crate is suited for both puppies and adult dogs.
- Collapsible and easy to store;
- Easy clean tray on the inside;
- Optional divider for more than one dog;
- Can be bulky when trying to move around;
- Tougher breeds may be able to bend wires;
- Plastic pan may chip/crack over time;
3. Pro Select Empire Dog Cage
Ideal for: Large dogs who are known to escape.
Want the best dog crate that will be the most durable? This tough dog crate is just right for strong dogs. The removable tray makes for easy clean ups for any accidents that may take place.
- Durable, sturdy construction;
- Casters allow for easy mobility;
- No worry about the dog escaping;
- Design can be bulky;
- Welded hinges susceptible to breakage;
- Very pricey;
2. EliteField 3 Door Folding Soft Dog Crate
Ideal for: Pet parents on the go who like to bring their dogs along.
When you want to have the best dog crate for easy transport, this EliteField model is a nice option. Great for car travel, there is a lightweight frame and a soft cover that can be removed for easy washing. A padded shoulder strap is included for easy portability.
- Easy to transport to and from the car;
- Comes in different colors;
- Soft to the touch for added comfort;
- Cover can be tricky to remove for washing;
- Difficult to transport with dog inside;
- Some breeds can break through the zipper;
1. Best Dog Crate – MidWest iCrate Folding Metal Dog Crate
Ideal for: Any pet owner that wants a versatile dog crate.
The MidWest iCrate model is an ideal crate whether you have a large dog or puppies to crate train. The double door design makes life easier for entry and exit. There is also rubber underneath that will help to prevent scratching on your floors.
- Nice crate to have for dogs who try to escape;
- Easy to move about the home;
- Divider is nice for more than one dog;
- Bulky when broken down;
- Lock can be opened by smarter dog breeds;
- Large breeds can get through bars;
When you want to have a nice, soft pet crate that you can use for taking your dog on trips, the Elite Field will make for an excellent choice. However, if you are looking for the best dog crate to use at home solely for crate training, you will find that the MidWest brand is a good option with plenty of durability and comfort. If you want to keep your dog happy and healthy while you are away, you might also consider purchasing a dog treadmill. Is there a product that you think is great, and is not on our list? Let us know in the comment section below!
Hale is very much an outdoors fan and there’s no place he’d go without Peanut, his golden Shep buddy. When they aren’t camping, backpacking, or hitting some trails, this pair enjoys discovering the latest toys, and usually goes for a walk in the park to try them out.